The L. N. Hvidt—
The Sorensen Family began their ocean journy with a three day trip from Copenhagen, Denmark to Grimsby, England aboard the modern steamer, L. N. Hvidt. This vessel would make two such voyages in 1857, moving the emigrating Scandinavian Saints from the Danish capital of Copenhagen and Grimsby. Sail however was still king upon the open waters of the Alantic Ocean at the time.
— The L. N. Hvidt —
The L. N. Hvidt (above) was an iron hull steamship with three masts and one funnel. She was owned by the General Danish Screw Steamship Company of Copenhagen. She weighed in at 328 tons and her measearuments were 171' x 23' x 11'. She was built in 1857 by James Henderson & Son at Renfrew, Scotland. In 1898, after more than four decades of service, she was sold to Norwegian owners.
Elder Hector C. Haight, president of the Scandinavian Mission, was in charge of the 540 Scandinavian Saints who sailed from Copenhagen on 18 April 1857 aboard the Danish steamship L. N. Hvidt. The vessel reached Grimsby, England, on 21 April, and the emigrants continued by rail to Liverpool, they then boarded the ship Westmoreland for America.